Tuesday, January 4, 2011

ArcGIS Server layer problem (DB is down)

 

So I got a task from my team leader to fix something in our implementation of FeatureLayer (in the Silverlight map).

I started last week and this morning I opened the map and saw white – No layers and the background layer took a few minutes to load.

So I fired up the ArcGIS Server Management site at: http://SERVER_NAME/ArcGIS/Manager/Default.aspx

Opened the log:

image

And saw this:

image

(Just imagine 8 more rows of the same text)

WARNING |  The Layer:'SchemaName.LayerName' in Map:'Layers' is invalid. Failure to access the DBMS server

So the first thing I tried was googling it and couldn't find any relevant data.

So since the error was DBMS I tried opening the SQL Server Management and got this:

image

When the server returned the application (of course) didn't start working…

I looked at ArcGIS server:

image

WARNING | The context has been automatically released because the Context Usage Timeout Interval has elapsed.

ERROR | Server Context creation failed on machine SERVER_NAME.

And then this:

image

ERROR | Container process 3592 has crashed on machine SERVER_NAME.

The problem was solved by deleting the cache (see Clearing ArcGIS Server REST API Cache) and restarting the ArcGis Service (see Restart ArcGIS Server service).

It seems ArcGIS Server saves in it's cache the error and doesn't let go until you manually refresh the cache – fun isn't it?